These healthy, low-carb egg salad cucumber boats are perfect for breakfast, lunch, or a snack. They take minutes to prepare, and the egg salad can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, for even quicker mealtime assembly. There are so many delicious and healthy ingredients that can be added to egg salad to change it up: cubed bell peppers, zucchini, pickles, and avocado, just to name a few. This recipe makes 4 boats, which serves 1 to 2 people, depending on your appetite.
Egg Salad Cucumber Boats
- 5 medium eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large English cucumber quartered lengthwise
- "everything but the bagel" seasoning for topping (optional)
- chopped parsley for topping (optional)
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Gently add the eggs to the pot and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on how cooked you prefer the yolks. While the eggs are boiling, prepare a large bowl full of ice water. When the eggs are done, transfer them to the ice water to stop the cooking.
- Remove the shell from the eggs and transfer the eggs to a bowl. Use a knife or a fork to break the eggs up into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper, and add the mayo and mustard, and mix well to combine.
- Using a small spoon, scoop the seeds out of the 4 slices of cucumber. You can save the seeds for adding to a yogurt dip, juice, or smoothie.
- Fill the hollowed cucumber boats with the egg salad. Top with seasoning and parsley, if using.