Dill pickle soup also known as Zupa Ogórkowa, is an outstanding and traditional Polish soup. I know that this creamy dill pickle soup is common in other countries like Russia and Ukraine which goes by the name of “Rasolnik,” so please let me know if you have a version of this soup in your country and what it’s called. The garlicky dill pickles in combination with the creamy potatoes make this soup one of the best soups I have ever had. This soup is creamy, comforting, and everything you want in a meal. Serve it with fresh crusty bread, and live your best life.
Creamy Dill Pickle Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 large finely diced yellow onion
- 1 large finely diced and peeled carrot
- 1 large finely diced celery rib
- 4 large (200g) finely chopped garlic dill pickles or any you like
- ½ cup (120ml) pickle juice
- 3 peeled (400g) finely cubed yellow potatoes
- 5 cups vegetable stock low sodium or unsalted
- 1 cup 250ml sour cream full fat
- 1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup fresh finely chopped dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a big pot on the stove, on medium-high heat, add butter, onions, carrots, celery, and sauté for a few minutes.
- Once the veggies are translucent, add in the pickles, pickle juice, potatoes, and broth. You can taste and adjust for salt at the end.
- Give it a stir, and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, semi-cover it and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- In the meantime, to a separate bowl, mix the sour cream and flour together. Flour is optional but I like to add it in as it makes the broth thicker. The soup tastes amazing without the flour as well so keep that in mind if you are gluten-free.
- When the soup is done, take a ladle of the broth and add it to the sour cream and flour mixture. Whisk well until fully combined. Add the sour cream mixture into the soup and stir. Make sure the soup is on low or off the heat when you add in the sour cream in.
- Stir in fresh and finely chopped dill and enjoy.
If you make a recipe and love it, I kindly ask you to leave me a review. It would mean the world to me if you did.