This is by far the best shrimp sushi bake cups I have ever made. Out of all the sushi bake cups I have made, this one is by far my favourite. The combination of the cream cheese and mayo is heaven in every bite. If you haven’t seen my viral salmon and chicken bake cups, please be sure to check those two recipes out as well. If you love sushi, you will absolutely love this recipe. Although it’s baked and not raw, it’s even more delicious than a maki roll in my humble opinion.
The Best Shrimp Sushi Bake
- 1 cup of cooked rice I like jasmine rice but sushi rice or short grain also work
- 2 sheets of nori cut into 3.5-inch squares
- 7 peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp cut into small cubes
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup softened cream cheese
- heaping tablespoon mayo
- dash of sriracha or any hot sauce is optional
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce coconut aminos, or tamari
- extra spicy mayo + chives for garnish
- Thaw the shrimp as per the package directions. Pat it dry and cut the thawed shrimp into small cubes, make sure the cubes are all more or less equal in size. Add the cubed shrimp to a bowl with a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl add the softened cream cheese, mayo, sriracha, and soy sauce, mix well. Pour this sauce over the shrimp and combine well.
- Rinse ½ cup of dry rice and cook it as per the package instructions. I like to use my rice cooker and I add a nice pinch of salt to the rice to flavour it better.
- Set the cooked rice aside, cut 2 sheets of nori into 6 equal sized squares. The squares should be able to fit into a large muffin tin insert with overhang on the sides for easy removal.
- Once the nori is cut, add a tablespoon of the cooked sticky rice, press it down onto each square. Doing this first will soften the nori and make it easy to place in the muffin tin.
- Feel free to dip your fingers in some water if the rice is sticky. The water will prevent the rice from sticking to your hands if it does.
- Place each Nori and rice square into a muffin tin insert, make sure it’s even. Add a tablespoon of the cubed marinated shrimp and scoop it on top of the rice into each cup.
- Bake in a preheated 400 F oven for about 15 minutes. I like to put it on broil for the last 60 seconds to get the top crispy. Take the sushi cups out of the oven and enjoy with extra spicy mayo on top and chives for garnish.