The best chicken soup EVER. I have been eating since I was a little baby and my absolute favourite soup in the world. Traditionally we make it with “fide” which are super thin soup noodles in Bulgaria, but I personally switch between rice, soup noodles, or pasta. This soup is super healthy and made with a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand. I hope you give it a try and share it with your loved ones. Please, don’t forget to tag someone who would love this recipe and leave a review on the blog.
The Best Chicken Soup Ever
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs + 3 small breasts any cut of chicken works
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 finely diced yellow or white onion
- 1 finely diced celery rib
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 4 finely diced or minced garlic cloves
- 8-10 cups hot water or unsalted stock
- ½ cup washed jasmine rice orzo, fide, pasta all work
- In a big soup pot on medium heat, add the oil, add the chicken, and let it sear on each side for a few minutes. Be sure to season it with salt and pepper on each side. You can use skinless chicken or skin on as well.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and let them sauté for a few minutes to release their aroma.
- Add the garlic and cook off the raw flavour for 1 minute. Add the hot water or stock let it come to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce your heat to medium-low and semi-cover the pot. Let everything cook on medium-low heat for 35-40 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt.
- After 40 minutes, take out the chicken, and add 1/2 cup of rinsed rice to the pot. Remove any skin or bones from the chicken, shred it with a fork, and add it back in once the rice is cooked. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy. Squeezed lemon juice in each bowl is optional, but absolutely delicious.