Salata Olivier also known as Ruska Salata in Bulgaria or Russian Salad in English or Салат Оливье in Russia. This Russian Potato Salad “Olivier” is a staple all over the world and a must on the table every New Year’s Eve in Bulgaria. The beauty of this salad and the phenomenal taste comes from finely chopping every single ingredient. Many countries all over the world make versions of this salad and it’s absolutely one of my favourite salads out there. Let me know below in the comments if you make the salad and where you’re from. For this recipe you will need:
The Best Russian Potato Salad “Olivier”
- 4 medium unpeeled boiled yellow potatoes finely diced — or any
- 2 peeled boiled carrots — must have a bite to them still
- 4 hard boiled eggs — eggs are optional if you are egg-free
- 1 cup of finely diced pickles of choice
- finely diced ham of choice is optional — chicken works too
- 1 14 oz can of drained peas — you can boil peas too if you want
- 1 heaping cup of your favourite mayo
- finely diced parsley for garnish is optional
- In a pot on the stove boil the potatoes and carrots but make sure they are not mushy and they hold their shape. In a separate pot if you are using eggs you can boil them as well.
- Once they are done let everything cool. I like to add my hot eggs to an ice bath so that they are easy to peel. Start by chopping every single one of your ingredients really finely.
- Dice the pickles, ham, the carrots once they are cooled, peel and finely chop the potatoes and peel and dice the eggs too. Add everything to a bowl with 1 14oz can of drained peas.
- You are more than welcome to boil peas as well instead of using canned.
- Add your favourite mayo and mix. Refrigerate for up to three days and If the salad gets dry you can always add an adjust the mayo. Enjoy.