My creamy roasted garlic mashed potatoes are first to disappear from the table. Anytime I serve these garlicky herbed mashed potatoes, everyone asks for the recipe. Not only are they so creamy, but they are also garlicky and incredibly easy to make. The secret is in the roasted head of garlic that becomes sweet and caramelized in combination with the creamy chive and shallot soft white cheese. Every bite is an explosion of flavour and you won’t be able to get enough. I promise you; everyone will be asking for seconds and thirds. You can make them as creamy as you like, I will leave all my notes, substitutions, and tips below. These mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other holiday. They are also the perfect side dish to any weeknight dinner. If you make them, please leave me a comment below and let me know how you liked this recipe.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs of potatoes I used 18 medium yellow potatoes
- salt to taste
- 1 whole head of garlic
- small drizzle of olive oil
- ⅓ cup of butter 5 tablespoons or adjust if you like more
- ½ cup (75 grams) herbed cream cheese I used Boursin shallot and chive
- chives for presentation are optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the top of a whole head of garlic and place it in a small ramekin. Add a small drizzle of olive oil on top, and put a lid on top of the ramekin. If you don’t have a lid you can cover it with foil. You can also bake the garlic in parchment paper and make sure you close it fully and place it on a baking sheet to roast.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the garlic is soft and caramelized. Take the garlic out and let it cool a bit.
- In the meantime, add water to a big pot, peel the potatoes and add them in. Let the water come to a boil and add a generous pinch of salt. Boil until fork tender.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain the water, mash them, put them through a ricer, or a sieve. Squeeze in the cooled roasted garlic, add the butter, and herbed cheese.
- Mix and mash everything together until super creamy. Feel free to add a splash of warm heavy cream or milk if you want it creamier. Enjoy warm.