There’s nothing better than fried dough with powdered sugar on Christmas day — or any day really lol Every single country around the world has their own version of fried dough so I know you will absolutely be able to relate. In Bulgaria we have something called “ Mekitzi ” or “ Ponichki ” which is similar but this is much easier to make and hits all the right spots. Fried dough, pizza fritte, fried doughnuts, zeppole, are just a few names of fried dough depending on where you live and absolutely divine. Tell me below in the comments what you call these in your country. This recipe makes 12 “Pizza Dough Doughnuts with Powdered Sugar” but that depends on how big or small you make them. You will need:
Pizza Dough Doughnuts with Powdered Sugar
- 700 grams pizza dough any
- oil for frying I used sunflower oil you can use avocado oil canola oil, etc.
- powdered sugar or anything you like
- touch of oil + flour for the dough if you shape it
- 4 or 4.5 inch cookie cutter or use your hands
- Add a little bit of oil to your counter and the pizza dough on top, dust it with a little bit of flour and roll it out into a rectangle so that you can use a big cookie cutter to cut out equal discs. You are more than welcome to rip a hole in those discs to make it into a doughnut shape as well.
- Whatever dough scraps remain you can add them back together into a ball and roll it out again and continue to cut. If that’s too time consuming you can simply rip pieces of the store-bought dough, roll it into your hands and shape/stretch it with your hands which is very easy to do as well.
- Heat up the oil and make sure it “ shimmers ” once I place them in they should bubble up. I reduce the heat to medium and fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Set on paper towel, dust with icing sugar and enjoy.