Mom’s Baked Beans with sautéed pork chops and caramelized onions. This is comfort food at its finest and a very traditional Bulgarian dish. We usually make this dish with pork chops, ribs, or sausage but you can totally make it with skinless boneless chicken thighs or even plant based. This is my family on a plate and I hope you love it. You will need:
Mom’s Baked Beans with Pork Chops
- 4 pork chops — we used center cut as they are tender
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil or any
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine or broth
- 1 finely diced onion
- 1 finely diced celery
- 1 diced carrot
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 450 grams dry beans that we boiled and soaked which equals 6 cups cooked cannellini beans you can use canned as well
- 4-5 cups water or broth enough to the level of the beans
- Preheat oven to 400F. We soaked our beans in cold water overnight and drained out the water the next day and boiled them for 35 minutes until al-dente but you can skip this step if you use canned.
- Marinate your pork chops in a tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper. Add a touch more oil to a pan and on medium- high sauté your pork chops for 2 minutes on each side until they get some colour.
- Add the wine (or broth) and let it cook out. Remove the pork chops and add them to the baking dish. In the same pan sauté the onions, celery, and carrots.
- Add the garlic, spices, tomato paste and tomato sauce and stir. Add the beans and your water, bean water, or broth and cook for a minute.
- Pour everything on top of your pork chops and bake at 400F uncovered for 30-35 minutes until saucy. Enjoy.