This is my childhood in a bowl. This is Bulgarian “Supa Topcheta” as we call it. It’s one of my favourite soups in the world. Hearty, delicious and packed with nutrients and flavour. If you haven’t noticed already, I never use store-bought broth in my soups. I feel like most of the store-bought broths have ingredients like “sugar “which I would never add to my soups. I would rather create my own broths through veggies and herbs than buy something full of additives so I encourage you to take the 30 minutes and make this incredible soup. You will need:
Mini meatball soup
- 375 grams ground meat — any you love we like pork
- 1 medium egg
- ½ very finely diced onion
- salt pepper, garlic powder, paprika to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil — or any
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 1 finely diced carrot
- 1 finely diced celery
- 1 medium potato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- ⅓ cup rice — we like jasmine any will work
- 3 L of water or unsalted stock – 11 to 12 cups total
- finely chopped parsley
- In a bowl add all of the ingredients for the meatballs and mix really well with clean hands until a thick and sticky mixture. Form tiny meatballs — we had 40 in total. Set it aside
- In a big pot on the stove on medium-high heat sauté your onions, celery, and carrots. Add the potatoes and stir.
- Add the tomato paste and sauce and stir between each ingredient.
- Stir in your spices and rice and add the water. Let it come to a full boil and slowly add your mini meatballs.
- Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover the pot and let it go for 20-25 minutes until everything is cooked. Adjust for salt and add in freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy.