This is comfort food at its finest. This here is home for me. I can eat this comforting meal 7 days a week. Potatoes, ground meat, onions, garlic, all the goodies into this one pot wonder. 40 minutes from start to finish and absolutely incredible. This is my great grandma’s recipe that has been passed down to my mom and now, me. It is a very lazy version of the traditional Bulgarian Moussaka that you all may know. This here is not to be mistaken with the Greek Moussaka that is made with eggplant, zucchini, and béchamel sauce. This Moussaka is simply something you want to enjoy and make quickly with minimal effort. To be honest I personally don’t like béchamel or the Moussaka topping so my mom never added it for me. Let’s get started as you will need:
Lazy Bulgarian Moussaka
- 15 small finely diced potatoes — 5 cups approx.
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice
- 700 grams ground beef/pork or any
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 3 finely diced garlic cloves
- carrot is optional
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt pepper, paprika to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3.5 cups hot water
- parsley for garnish
- In a big pot on high heat, add your oil and brown your meat for 10 minutes or until caramelized. You will need to break up your meat and stir it.
- Once browned, add onions, garlic, carrot and stir. Add in your tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir. Now add in your seasonings to taste and stir.
- Add the potatoes and stir, and then the hot water (enough to the level of the potatoes and meat) and let it come to a boil.
- Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat and let it go on medium for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. Garnish with parsley and let it cool. Enjoy.