This is the Juiciest 6 Ingredient Chicken recipe ever. In Bulgaria we are known for cooking or baking with yogurt. Plain yogurt makes for the perfect marinade and also makes so many of our baked goods so incredibly delicious, fluffy, and moist. Yogurt has a very long history in our country. Many Bulgarians claim Yogurt was accidentally discovered in Bulgaria thousands of years ago when nomadic tribes roamed the land. In Bulgaria, yogurt is everywhere. You’ll find it on falafel wraps, slathered on moussaka and lined up in supermarket refrigerators. It is in traditional Bulgarian dishes such as tarator, a cold soup made of yogurt, water, cucumber, and dill; and snezhanka, a salad consisting of yoghurt, cucumbers, garlic and dill. People sip yoghurt drinks in the streets and we dip fried zucchini slices into yogurt dips too. We love yogurt with sweet bread, in soups and stews and so many other recipes as well. There is a type of bacterium that can only be found in Bulgarian Yogurt. Our particular yogurt is a combination of bacteria that characterizes the thickness, acidity, taste and aroma of the yogurt and it’s more tangy. Bulgarian yogurt has a very specific way in which it is prepared using a combination of the two strains: Lactobacillus Bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. The bacteria which causes milk to naturally turn into yogurt was discovered by a Bulgarian scientist and was named after our country so as you can see, we are very passionate about cooking with it and I hope you do too.
Juiciest 6 Ingredient Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs or any cut of chicken
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt — I use Balkan-Style Greek yogurt is lovely, any works
- 2 big pinches of salt
- pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- tablespoon of Italian seasoning — use dry oregano if you don’t have any
- ¼ cup water or broth
- Add the chicken to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and massage it really well with clean hands. Let it sit and marinate in the fridge for at least one hour to overnight. You don't have to wait as you can bake it right away but it will be so much more tender if you do.
- Take it out of the fridge and transfer it to an oven safe baking dish. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Push the chicken to the side with a spoon and add some water or broth and move the chicken around so that the juices are distributed evenly.
- Bake it uncovered for 45 minutes to one hour depending on how big/small the thighs are. To crisp up the skin further you can add the chicken on broil for 1-2 minutes but keep a very close eye on it. Enjoy on salad, mashed potatoes, on wraps, with rice, or with any side you like.