This is the juiciest 6 ingredient chicken. In Bulgaria, we are known for cooking or baking with yogurt. Plain yogurt makes for the perfect marinade and also makes so many of our baked goods so incredibly delicious, fluffy, and moist. Yogurt has a very long history in our country. Many Bulgarians claim yogurt was accidentally discovered in Bulgaria thousands of years ago when nomadic tribes roamed the land. In Bulgaria, yogurt is everywhere. You’ll find it on falafel wraps, slathered on moussaka, and lined up in supermarket refrigerators. It is in traditional Bulgarian dishes such as “Tarator,” a cold soup made of yogurt, water, cucumber, and dill; and “Snezhanka,” a salad consisting of yoghurt, cucumbers, garlic and dill. People sip yoghurt drinks in the streets and we dip fried zucchini slices into yogurt dips too. We love yogurt with sweet bread, in soups, stews, and so many other recipes as well. There is a type of bacterium that can only be found in Bulgarian Yogurt. Our particular yogurt is a combination of bacteria that characterizes the thickness, acidity, taste and aroma of the yogurt and it’s more tangy. Bulgarian yogurt has a very specific way in which it is prepared using a combination of the two strains: Lactobacillus Bulgaricus and Streptococcus Thermophilus. This specific bacteria which causes milk to naturally turn into yogurt was known to be discovered by a Bulgarian scientist. It was named after our country so as you can see, we are very passionate about cooking with it so I hope you love it too.
Juiciest 6 Ingredient Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs any cut of chicken works
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt Bulgarian, Balkan-Style, or Greek
- 2 big pinches of salt
- pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- tablespoon Italian seasoning or dry oregano
- ¼ cup water or broth
- Add the chicken to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and massage it really well. Let it sit and marinate in the fridge for at least one hour to overnight. You don't have to wait as you can bake it right away but it will be so much more tender if you do.
- Take it out of the fridge and transfer it to an oven safe baking dish. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Push the chicken to the side with a spoon and add some water or broth and move the chicken around so that the juices are distributed evenly.
- Bake it uncovered for 45 minutes to one hour depending on the size of the thighs. To crisp up the skin further you can broil the chicken on top for 1-2 minutes but keep a very close eye on it. Enjoy on salad, mashed potatoes, on wraps, with rice, or with any side you like.