My take on the best roasted eggplant spread ever. In Bulgaria we are huge lovers of eggplant and absolutely love our dips. Our famous eggplant spread is called “ Kyopolou ” and it’s traditionally made with roasted bell peppers as well. I didn’t have any on hand so I made a version of it which I know you will all absolutely love. I personally sauté the onions and garlic instead of adding raw garlic to spreads because I feel it adds way more flavour but feel free to make this spread any way you wish. It is incredible with bread, on sandwiches, and even with pasta. If you boil some pasta and add a touch of the starchy water you have yourself an insane pasta dish. For this recipe you will need:
Grilled Eggplant Pasta
- 2 medium-large eggplants
- drizzle of olive oil for the eggplant + 2 teaspoons for the sautéing
- salt to taste
- 1 finely diced onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup tomato sauce marinara sauce
- pasta of choice
- ¼ cup starchy pasta water
- parsley and parm for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 425F. Wash and cut the stem off the eggplant and cut it in half. Scoring your eggplant is optional.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil on each halve and sprinkle of salt. Flip them upside down and bake until they are soft and a knife is inserted easily into the skin.
- It should take 45-60 min. depending how big or small the eggplant is. Take it out, let it cool and scoop out the flesh.
- In a pan on the stove on medium-high heat sauté the onions in a touch of olive oil and once they are translucent stir in the garlic.
- Add the eggplant and break it up with the spatula. Add salt to taste as well as the tomato sauce.
- Boil your pasta of choice in salted water and stir it in with as much of the eggplant sauce as you like along with some of the starchy cooking water. Enjoy