This looks and feels like scrambled eggs but totally egg-free. This here is what we call a tofu scramble with onions and roasted bell peppers. Tofu is such a beautiful plant-based ingredient because essentially it tastes like nothing lol. Tofu is so versatile because the ingredients you use with it or the sauces are what it ends up tasting like. This is the perfect alternative to anyone that cannot tolerate eggs or if you’re completely plant-based. No, I am not either of those things and I love a nice tofu scramble when I want to change things up. My mom ate a big plate of this when I first made it for her and absolutely loved it when she is someone who loves eggs too. Feel free to use any veggies you love as I’m sure it would be so delicious with mushrooms and onions as well. You will need:
- ½ block of organic tofu — can be medium-firm or firm
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ finely diced onion
- 1 finely chopped bell pepper
- dash of ground turmeric
- touch of dry oregano is optional
- green onions chilli flakes, or parsley are all additional toppings
- In a pan on medium-high heat sauté the onions and roasted bell pepper for a few minutes . You can roast your own pepper in the oven and peel it or you can even buy a jar of roasted bell peppers too. Season with salt and pepper and you can always taste and adjust.
- Take half of your block of tofu and pat it dry really well with a paper towel or a lint free kitchen towel to draw out the moisture.
- Crumble it inside the pad just as you would crumble feta. Add a dash of turmeric on top and stir and break it up more if you wish. Let those flavours infuse for a few more minutes, take it off the heat and enjoy on some butter toast.