Easter Sweet Bread is universal and one of the most delicious breads in the world. It is fluffy, lightly sweet and incredible with coffee, with plain yogurt as we enjoy it in Bulgaria, or even as French toast the following day. It is so delicious and also easy to make. If you don’t have a mixer, please go and watch my Easter bread on my Instagram highlights as it’s the exact same bread except I show you the way my grandmother taught me which is by hand. You will need:
Easter Sweet Bread
- 1 packet active dry yeast 8 grams
- ½ cup warm water 150 ml
- 1 teaspoon sugar – 5 grams
- ½ cup avocado oil 125 ml
- Zest of a lemon
- ¾ cup sugar – 160 grams
- 3 eggs – room temp
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 5 grams
- ½ cup melted butter 125 ml
- 1 cup warm milk 250 ml
- 6 cups all-purpose flour 940 grams
- egg wash is 1 egg + tsp water
- Add the first three ingredients to your stand mixer bowl and let it activate (takes around 5 min). In the meantime warm your butter and your milk on the stove.
- Once your yeast mixture is activated you can begin adding one ingredient at a time into your mixer. Whisk your butter and milk into it.
- Add flour gradually until you reach 6 cups more or less but please look at the consistency. Once your dough pulls apart from the bowl, it’s ready.
- Oil up your hands a little and shape into a ball.
- Cover it and let it rise at room temp away from drafts for 2 hours. Once risen divide into 2 and shape into a ball and place into baking dishes lined with parchment paper, mine were 10 inch ones you can use any.
- Cover and let it rise again. Brush with some egg-wash and sugar is optional on top. Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 350 F oven for 45 min or until golden.
- If you’re making one large loaf you have to bake for at least an hour. Let it cool completely and enjoy. Do not cut into it or else it can be dense and wet.