This is my Easiest Whole Roasted Garlic Lemon Chicken and Potatoes that takes 10 minutes to prep. Most people are intimidated when they see a whole chicken at the grocery store but it couldn’t be easier to make. It is one of the easiest ways to cook chicken and it’s perfect for a family of 4 or even for meal prep. Cooking a whole chicken makes a very affordable to enjoy a delicious meal for the whole family.
Click here for my oven roasting dish or it can be found at stores like Walmart.
Easiest Whole Roasted Garlic Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
- whole chicken — mine was 3.3 lbs 1.5 kilos
- 1 small bag of yellow baby potatoes cut in half — or enough to fit in your dish
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 cloves unpeeled garlic
- generous sprinkle of salt — I added 3 big pinches
- pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- thyme sprigs are optional
- 2 lemons that are halved
- ½ cup white wine — or broth
- ½ cup water
- herbs for garnish are optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. In a roasting oven dish or any oven safe dish, add the baby potatoes which you have washed and cut in half.
- Take the chicken out of the package and pat it dry with a paper towel and place it in the centre of the dish with the potatoes all around it.
- Drizzle the olive oil, add the garlic, spices, lemons, thyme, and massage everything really well with clean hands. Massage the chicken and potatoes so that the herbs, oil and spices coat everything evenly.
- With a spoon push a little bit of the potatoes forward to make room so that you can pour in the wine and water. Gently give the dish a shake but don’t stir anything around because we don’t want to take off those seasonings.
- Put the lid on or cover your dish with foil and bake at 400F for an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half depending on your oven.
- If you are using a meat thermometer the internal temperature of the chicken should read 180°F. Mine took exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes. I removed the lid and put the oven on broil ( top broiled only ) to crisp up the skin. Be sure to keep a very close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Take it out, garnish with any fresh herbs like parsley and be sure to spoon over those delicious juices left in the pan. Squeeze out the garlic out of the garlic peel and enjoy it on bread or mixed in with the potatoes. Enjoy