The best Bulgarian deconstructed cabbage rolls ever. If you love cabbage rolls but absolutely hate making them because of how much time they take to roll, you are not alone. This is a very easy cabbage bake that won’t sacrifice the taste. Absolutely divine and comfort food at its finest. For this recipe you will need:
Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
- 500 g ground meat of choice — we like pork
- 1/3 cup avocado oil — or any
- 1 finely diced onion
- 4-5 finely diced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt — or to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons paprika — to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 3/4 cup jasmine rice or long grain
- 1 medium cabbage chopped
- 1/2 cup hot water — + 1 cup in the baking dish so 1.5 cups total
- finely chopped dill
- In a pan on medium-high heat add the oil. Add in the ground meat and fry it up until it’s brown and there’s no moisture.
- Add in the onions, garlic, tomato paste, seasonings, and rice as you start in between. Take it off the heat.
- Cut your cabbage like you would cut an onion — cut in half and each half into lengthwise strips and cut across. Add a little bit of salt on top and massager for about a minute to draw out the moisture and to soften it.
- Add it to a big pot on the stove with 1/2 cup of hot water and let it reduce as you stir a few times by at least 1/3.
- Add extra paprika and salt if needed and mix in the meat and rice mixture.
- Pour into a baking dish with 1 cup hot water, cover with foil and bake at 400F for 35 min. open it and let it broil for a few min on top. Dill for garnish, and enjoy.