Can you tell I’m missing my dad? This is Bulgarian beef soup as we call” Teleshko Vareno”. This here is home for me, this is something that I have been raised on since I was a baby and I don’t think that I could ever forget the taste of my parents’ home-cooked meals. I feel so honoured to be able to share them with you all in to pass on my traditions. I hope you take the time to make this one pot wonder because I truly believe you will love it. It is so healthy and hearty and perfect for this time of year. You will need:
Dad’s Beef Soup
- 10-12 cups water
- 1 onion peeled and halved
- 2 peeled carrots & quartered
- 2 celery stalks halved or quartered
- 6 small peeled quartered potatoes
- 3-4 peeled whole garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf optional
- beef veal chops, pork chops, or any stewing meat will work
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- parsley for garnish
- Add all of your veggies to a big pot on the stove on medium high heat and let it come to a boil. Slowly add in your meat of choice, I decided to use two beef T-bone steaks that I roughly chopped into 2 inch cubes.
- Be sure to skim and throw away any foam that comes to the top, after you do that you can add in 1 tablespoon of salt +1 tablespoon of olive oil or any oil you have.
- Let it simmer on medium with the lid semi-on for 1 hour. After one hour add in your tomato sauce, stir it and let it go for another hour until your meat falls apart.
- Garnish with lots of fresh parsley and enjoy this incredible hearty soup.