Crispy, tender, and absolutely divine. Calamari or squid rings are so easy to make but require some tender love and care and I am excited to show you my take on them. Please read my notes below for all the tips. For this recipe will need:
Crispy Calamari or Squid Rings
- 15 calamari or squid rings
- 1 cup buttermilk — or make your own with 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt pepper, paprika to taste
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 whisked eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or Italian breadcrumbs work too
- spicy mayo = mayo mixed with touch of sriracha
- lemon slices for garnish
- avocado oil for shallow frying or avocado oil spray for the air-fryer
- Buy buttermilk at the store or simply make your own by combining 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juivry and gently stir and leave it alone for 5 minutes to curdle.
- Once it’s curdled you can add in the calamari or squid rings and let them sit there to get nice and tender for at least an hour. Once they are tender you can prepare your dredging station and add flour to a bowl, whisked eggs to a second bowl, and breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
- Make sure the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs are seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. You can even add parm to the breadcrumbs if you wish for extra flavour. Begin dipping each ring in the flour ( shaking off the excess ) then the eggs, then breadcrumbs and do that for each one.
- Get your oil in a pan nice and hot and fry them for 2 minutes on each side until golden or air-fry them as per my notes. Enjoy them hot with lots of lemon and spicy mayo on the side — to make the spicy mayo just mix any mayo of choice with any hot sauce you like. Enjoy