The easiest most delicious butter cookies. This here is my mom’s recipe and these cookies are universal. Practically every culture I come across has a delicious version of them. You can fill them a thousand different ways, you can fill them with chocolate chips, raisins, leave them plain, walnuts, jam , and so many other ways. One of our favourite ways is to put a piece of Turkish Delight which we call Lokum back home. These cookies are so versatile and so easy to make they will be a staple during the fall and winter months for you. Let’s get started as you will need:
- 1 3/4 -2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup melted/softened butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whisk the softened or melted butter, sugar and pure vanilla together until fluffy and pale. Once mixed, add in your egg and whisk until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl add your flour and salt and mix. Now add your wet ingredients to the bowl with flour and salt and incorporate until you have a nice dough. The dough shouldn’t be too sticky or too loose, you should be able to form a cookie ball out of it. To this dough you can add walnuts, raisins, or any fillings you love. You can also leave it plain. Roll 22 equal cookie balls into the palm of your hands and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can use a tablespoon measuring spoon to measure out your cookies if you want to be precise.
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 and bake for 15-17 minutes or until dark golden bottoms. Let them cool and dust with powdered sugar if you wish. Enjoy.