My OG Bulgarian Egg-Feta Toast on here went viral and was featured on apple news. The fact that I am able to elevate and share recipes from my country makes me the happiest girl in the world. I am proud to be Bulgarian and my traditions will always translate onto this food page. This type of Bulgarian Spinach & Egg-Feta Toast is HOME for me and what we call “ Prinzesi ” in Bulgaria. We have so many different versions but today I am sharing my “ spanakopita-style ” take on my classic Bulgarian Feta Toast. Every morning I would wake up in Bulgaria and my dad always had a version of these baked sandwiches on the table with fresh tomatoes on the side. It’s something I look forward to when I go back home in the summer and a very nostalgic recipe for me. These are the most incredible feta, egg and cheese toasts or “sandwiches” as we like to call them and I want them to become a part of your traditions as well. You will need:
Bulgarian Spinach & Egg-Feta Toast
- 2 cups freshly chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 4 pieces of rye bread — lightly buttered
- 2 medium eggs
- about 1/2 cup crumbled feta — or sirene which is soft white cheese
- ½ cup of any cheese — kashkaval mozzarella, cheddar, any will work
- pinch of salt
- dry oregano on top or savory as well call it “chubritza” back home is optional
- In a pan on medium heat add a touch of avocado or olive oil. Add the chopped spinach and let it wilt and cook fully. Cool it and squeeze out all of the water in a cheesecloth.
- To a bowl add the spinach, eggs, salt, feta, pinch of salt and grated cheese and mix fully until combined.
- Add a few tablespoons of the mixture on top of each slice of lightly buttered bread and spread it out all the way to the crust.
- On a low rack put your oven on BROIL — top broiler on only, keep a very close eye on them. Mine took 10 minutes but it will really depend on the oven. As soon as they are golden and feel firm on top they are ready. Sprinkle on dry oregano or summer savoury and enjoy.