A Bulgarian Staple. 5 minute Bulgarian Grilled Zucchini with Yogurt Sauce. This recipe is home, my family and I have been making grilled or fried vegetables like this with creamy sauces for generations. I definitely think it’s time for you to elevate your zucchini game and I know this one will be on rotation. I am extremely proud to be Bulgarian and even more proud and honoured to be able to share my cultural recipes with you all. This recipe pairs perfectly with my chicken or pork skewers and it’s on rotation at home at least three times a week. The sauce is so light and refreshing and pairs perfectly with any grilled veggie. I honestly think that the simplest recipes often taste the best and every time I close my eyes I see myself enjoying a recipe like this with my family and envision the fondest memories filled with love and laughter around the table.
Bulgarian Grilled Zucchini with Yogurt Sauce
- 4 zucchini cut into slices
- small drizzle of avocado oil on each side — you can use olive oil but it will smoke up
- salt to taste after its cooked
The Yogurt Sauce
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt — any you like
- 1 minced garlic clove — measure with your heart
- 1 teaspoon dry dill — you can use finely chopped fresh as well or leave it if you are allergic
- salt to taste
- Wash the zucchini, pat them dry and cut off a little bit off of each end. Slice it into 1/4 inch strips. I usually get 4 slices out of each zucchini depending on the size.
- Drizzle on a little bit of oil on each side and massage each side with your hands. Grill them on a grill pan on the stove on medium heat for a few minutes on each side. If you need to add a touch more oil in the grill pan prior to adding the zucchini in you are more than welcome to.
- The zucchini should have a bite to it and char marks on each side. Take it off the heat and add some salt.
- In a separate bowl add all of the ingredients for the sauce and stir. Dip the zucchini in the sauce or even pour the yogurt sauce on top and enjoy.