Bulgarian cold cucumber soup which we call “Tarator”. This is hands down the most refreshing dish and a staple back home. I never thought my Italian hubby would love Bulgarian food as much as he does and this is by far the most requested dish by him. We can eat this every single day especially when it’s really hot in the summer. It pairs perfectly with any meat or fish and it’s absolutely incredible. If you are a lover of Tzatziki or a lover of any yogurt dips you will absolutely love this. This is what we call “Tarator” back home and you can find it on every menu. You will need:
Bulgarian Cold Cucumber Soup
- 1 peeled English cucumber finely chopped or grated — up to you
- 1 tub of plain yogurt — 750 grams
- 2 pinches of salt — to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 1-2 minced garlic cloves — to taste
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2.5-3 cups filtered freezing cold water
- chopped/crushed walnuts optional
- Wash and peel one English cucumber and cut it in half. You can also leave the skin on it’s totally up to you. Slice each halve into four strips, make thin lengthwise cuts and dice it. Feel free to grate the cucumber if you don’t want to dice it to save you time.
- Add everything else to a bowl and give it a good stir. If you don’t feel like adding water you can totally enjoy it without it as it makes for the most delicious dip or add as much filtered cold water as you love to make it into a refreshing cold cucumber soup.
- Whisk it well after you add the water and refrigerate. Enjoy