This recipe goes out to my family, in particular my Dad and this is HOME for me. Every morning I would wake up in my house in Bulgaria my dad had these on the table with fresh tomatoes on the side for breakfast and it’s something I look forward to when I go there every summer. These are the most incredible feta, egg and cheese toasts or “sandwiches” as we like to call them. If you have never tried anything like this I highly recommend it and to be honest, what’s not to like about feta and cheese on buttered bread lol. I am drooling already so let’s get started as this couldn’t be easier:
Bulgarian Cheese, Feta, and Egg Toast
- 4 pieces of rye bread lightly buttered
- 2 eggs
- handful of feta about 1/3 cup
- handful of any grated cheese about 1/2 cup
- pinch of salt
- dry oregano on top or savory as well call it “chubritza” back home
- Rye bread or sourdough works best for this recipe or any firmer sliced bread. Butter it lightly with some softened butter (or margarine) and set it aside.
- To a bowl add the eggs, salt, feta and grated cheese and mix fully until combined.
- Add a few tablespoons of the mixture on top of each slice of bread and spread it out all the way to the crust. On a low rack put your oven on BROIL (top broiler on) and keep a very close eye on them.
- Mine took 10 minutes but it will really depend on the oven. As soon as they are golden and feel firm on top they are ready. Sprinkle on dry oregano or dry savory and enjoy