Oat cakes are my favorite breakfast treat, and this blueberry lemon oat cake comes together in minutes in the blender. Made with wholesome ingredients, like oats, nut milk, egg, and blueberries, this is a cake you can enjoy for breakfast without the afternoon sugar crash. Naturally gluten and dairy-free, and so simple to make vegan, this is a crowd-pleasing breakfast.
Blueberry Lemon Oat Cake
- ½ cup rolled oats (47 grams)
- zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (4 grams)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg whites
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
- ½ cup unsweetened nut milk, such as almond, or any type of milk (see notes below) (125 ml)
- handful fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Add the oats, lemon zest, baking powder, honey, egg, vanilla extract, and nut milk to a blender and blend until completely incorporated into a batter, about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into a ramekin or divide it among the wells of a muffin tin. Any oven-safe dish will work, as long as the batter fills no more than 3/4 of the dish (the batter will rise and expand in the oven). Top with the blueberries.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the center of the cake is set and no longer jiggly.